4 Tasty Ways to Celebrate National Hot Dog Day on July 22
Westlake Ace Hardware’s champion BBQ expert offers four tasty new recipes to help hungry fans of this summertime staple celebrate.
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (July 16, 2020) – National Hot Dog Day is truly the most wonderful time of the year for hot dog fans everywhere. On Wednesday, July 22, we celebrate the beloved and iconic summertime favorite with backyard cookouts, lots of laughter, and memories that will last a lifetime.
According to Andy Groneman, Westlake Ace Hardware’s champion BBQ expert, “National Hot Dog Day gives everyone a chance to celebrate a favorite food, enjoy a new activity with the family at home, and experiment at the grill with something new.”
He added, “We have a lot to celebrate! Hot dogs have been a part of our culture since the 1870s when a German immigrant named Charles Feltman first sold them from a stand on Coney Island in New York. According to The Nielsen Company, nearly 890 million pounds of this summertime staple are sold every year in the U.S.”
To commemorate National Hot Dog Day, Groneman suggests four fun and flavorful recipes and toppings:
- The Cilantro-Lime Corn Dog, a savory and spicy twist on an old favorite
- The Grilled “Carrotdog” with Avocado and Cilantro, a tasty meatless alternative
- Pickled Red Onions, a tangy twist on a favorite hot dog topping
- Fire Roasted Chimichurri, a fresh and unexpected way to liven up a hot dog
Note to media: For images of the Cilantro-Lime Corn Dog or Grilled “Carrotdog,” please contact Tom Mentzer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Westlake Ace Hardware owns 139 stores nationally under the Ace, Buikema’s, Dennis Company, North Bend, Outer Banks, and Westlake brands, and has a lot of expertise matching people with the right grills and giving great advice. They carry such leading brands as Weber, Traeger, and Big Green Egg and regularly help customers select a model that best suits their style of cooking and lifestyle. For all BBQ grill purchases of $299 or more, Ace Rewards Members can take advantage of free assembly and delivery of their grills.
National Hot Dog Day Fun Facts
- Hot Dog Day was established in 1972 by Alfred University students Eric Vaugh and Mark O’Meara.
- The first words spoken by Walt Disney’s Mickey Mouse were, “Hot Dog!” The cartoon was called “The Carnival Kid” and it was created in 1929.
- It is estimated that 20 billion hot dogs are consumed every year in the U.S.
- According to the National Hot Dog & Sausage Council, the top hot dog consuming cities are Los Angeles, Chicago, New York and Detroit.
- Hot dogs were first sold at baseball games in 1893.